这部落格已经建立新站啦!瞧瞧新网站!
New site is ready! Click here to visit new site ♪(´▽`)

Book Review: Excuse Me While I Disappear: Tales of Midlife Mayhem

I don't know how, but this book appears when I browsing for next book. And it's eye-catching. I guess, it fits me, at some points.

Excuse Me While I Disappear Laurie Notaro
Excuse Me While I Disappear: Tales of Midlife Mayhem
Laurie Notaro
Recommended: 4/5

In this article:
1. Very summary of the book
2. Hitting some realistics
3. The missing one star
4. Quotes

Very summary of the book

Published by Nov 2022, basically a new book. A non-fiction, talking about midlife. Am I midlife yet? No, I'm not. But I start feeling "old" at few moments, especially when I need to change bed sheets. So I guess this book kicks in as a hint.

Hitting some realistics

Laurie shared some tips about midlife, your body changes, thought process changed, your social skill changed, and you are now brave in sharing your thoughts or asking for what you wants.

Surprisingly, few of them really matches what I'm doing, especially the "you will ask for what you want". Back to teenager time, I'm too shy to even raise hand for something.. and now, I would ask movie counter to change me a new cup of popcorn because they gave me a last-scoop-popcorn-debris. It's funny example, but I guess its kind of big changes while I'm aging.

And yes, you would have lower tolerant to what you dislike. You started to care your personal preferences & happiness more than someone else's. So basically I'm doing what I love, and meeting people I like.

The author shared something you might already knew, but not preparing to admit. If you are not, read again after 5 years.

The missing one star

This is a humour writing, I laugh most of the time, a lot of west-style joke. But the book filling up with irrelevant stories at the end, perhaps the get-the-word-counts game, started around 60%. That's abit annoying because I'm not sure what the author trying to bring up at the final half of the book.

But I do enjoy her writing. It's interesting and full of laughter.

Valuable quotes from the readings

  • We are not born old. We worked to get there.
  • Listen, ask any woman who has lived the last twenty-five years of her life on repeat if that is cruel and unusual behavior.
  • There was no one more irritating than someone who didn’t stand up for herself.
  • There’s no time for shit you don’t like.
后一页 前一页

联系人表单