Book Review: Thinking, Fast and Slow | A mind changing reading

快思慢想
Thinking, Fast and Slow
by Daniel Kahneman

This is a very tough book & contents to read. I've stopped the reading for 2 months ago, but I got to admit it's a good book during my first read, and thus I've continue the reading when I'm ready again.

There's alot of examples provided in the books for our better understanding on how our mind works, all these examples are close to our real lives, that's how resonance happen. You may surprise why an obvious theory can publish with a 500 pages books. But interestingly, we always ignore all this "obvious" theory. And Kahneman is again reminding & rehighlights these simple theory to readers. One of the most impress example given by Kahneman is: there's always a label on foods you may have seen in market, the label could be "90% No Fat!", but in fact, it means there are 10% of fats in the food itself. With the "correct" info yet a different presentation, it brings a different effect to consumers by automate the consumer's system 1.

Kahneman is not teaching us to seek for troubles, but to remind us how our brain's system 1 & system working together, and telling us how our mind and feel cheating ourselves.

The 2 main characters are from your own brains:
a. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional
b. System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical
I rated this book a 4 star before writing this review, and went for a reading on other readers comments in goodreads. There's a 1 star comment creating a crowd. The reader meant to summarized and provide his view on the long lasting tedious contents to other readers. Initially I agreed with him and wondering is this book worth a 4 stars. But I settle down my mind and review my reading experience...

There's a quote in this book saying that, it is meaningless to use only the last quarter of life to assess whether this person's entire life is going well or not.

I enjoy the reading experience of the book. I like the pace leading by Kahneman, step by step, in understand our mind further. If I'm going to deny my reading experience due to one of the comments, that means I'm rejecting my own feels against the experience as well. The reader's comments are valid, everyone do have their own views & experience, so do I. And thus I respect mine. 

It's a good read but I may not introduce to friends, the acceptance level of this book somehow complicated.


較新的 較舊

聯絡表單