Book Review: I'm Glad My Mom Die | Hey, this is a memoir title.

Another book that having eye catching title. And.. somehow I’m slightly took time to ready for this book.

I'm Glad My Mom Died
by Jennette McCurdy
5/5

This is a memoir of the author - Jenette Mccurdy. To be frank, she seems well known, but I didn’t know her. I’m not usually reading a memoir only because of the author's fame, I read memoir to understand what other’s people facing, how other people’s life going. So.. whether she is a celebrities, that doesn’t affect how I pick up this title.

According to Amazon description:
Jennette McCurdy was six years old when she had her first acting audition. Her mother’s dream was for her only daughter to become a star, and Jennette would do anything to make her mother happy. So she went along with what Mom called “calorie restriction,” eating little and weighing herself five times a day. She endured extensive at-home makeovers while Mom chided, “Your eyelashes are invisible, okay? You think Dakota Fanning doesn’t tint hers?” She was even showered by Mom until age sixteen while sharing her diaries, email, and all her income.

In her writing, she is an obey daughter, she listen to her mom, and always looking for her mom’s approval. She attempt to get her mom’s compliment, and always try her best to make her mom happy with her. Her mom expressed the wishes that she will never grow up, and to meet her mom’s expectation, she started to control her intake calories. She is afraid of growing up. And… she end up having eating disorder, anorexia.

After her mom gone, there’s extremely little writing about her feeling towards her mom’s pass, instead she shared how she go on her life when her mom no longer comment/request how she should have live. And fortunately, she started to look for Psychologist and she is getting better, she wants to be getting better.

At the very very last chapter, finally, Jenette “blame” her life on her mother. That’s something really out of scope, when for the whole first 80+ chapters she never comment on her mother even a single word. Out of sudden, at the very last chapter, suddenly she concluded that her misfortune are started from her mother.

Still got to say this is a very well written memoir. It has been a while since my last memoir, it’s too glad I pick this up.

Valuable quotes from the readings

  • “I just…” He steps closer to me. “I just think… you deserve to be a kid.”
  • Facing your emotional experience is going to be the most transformative part of your recovery.
  • A pushover is nice and goes along with it, whatever it is. An opinionated pushover acts nice and goes along with it, but while quietly brooding and resentful.
  • I always forget that trying to reason with the unreasonable is… unreasonable.
  • Why do we romanticize the dead? Why can’t we be honest about them?
較新的 較舊

聯絡表單