Book Review: The Dressmaker's Gift | Anger is stronger than fear


House of Crows
The Dressmaker's Gift
Fiona Valpy

This is a story about a lady, Harriet, seeking for her history and base from 1940, her grandmother Claire. Author presenting the story in an intersting way, which Harrier basically "reading" Claire's story and the war era life expose bit by bit.

Harriet, who felt herself in a broken family and misery life (with mom suicided, father with his new family), she felt abandoned and lonely, seek for a little knowledge about herself. She came back to Paris, an attic room that her grandmother live at 1940 as a seamstress here.

By reading grandmother's story later, she no longer felt alone in this world... Well, it feel like listening an overthink's person thought, that keep thinking themself are so misery when others do nothing. Ironically, her father and stepmother actually love her which she thought they don't. She emotionally seeking for her identity and love from 2 generation away. It was like "???".

Anyway, the interesting part of this book actually is Claire's history, which she live so hard during the war era with Vivi and Mireilla, their friendships, and they are bold enough to contributes for their country by being a member of secret network, rescuing people that they doesn't even know. End up..Vivi sacrificed. It's the only regret in this fictional world :(

Well, its not an awesome book, but definitely a casual reading. My takeaway from this reading is.."Don't over think".

Quotes:
  • I’m not just searching for who they are. I’m trying to find out who I am, too.
  • And now I am angry. And anger is stronger than fear.
  • It seems that, in a new language and in a city where I am naturally an outsider, I find it easier to be myself.
  • I’ve proven to myself what I’ve always feared, that I am too damaged to be loved.
  • I think we have to tell ourselves that. It’s what gives us a reason to carry on.
  • Perhaps it’s the champagne giving me courage, but I’m beginning to dare to dream of a life for myself in Paris.
  • I won’t run away. I will fight for what is most important. For life.


后一页 前一页

联系人表单